Thursday, April 26, 2012

An Apple A Day

We had Aiden's two month doctors check up a few days ago. Everything went well! He weighs 13lbs 11oz and is 23.75" long (my BIG guy!!). He's still very colicky but the doctor says hopefully he'll outgrow it in the next month or so. When she asked Emma if she liked being a big sister she said "Yeah, I love my baby brother. He cries a lot though." Confirmation that we're still dealing with a lot of cranky baby times over here. After discussing everything we've tried to help him and how I've been getting up at 4am with him for the day the doctor suggested we just let him swing himself back to sleep in the morning. She said "i'm not suppose to encourage the swing but you need sleep and if that's the only way to get it then that's what you have to do." So I've been camping out on the couch next to him at 4am until Emma comes down at 7 to wake me. It's amazing how the love you feel for your child allows you to just do and not think about it. I'm exhausted and stressed but I'll sleep on the couch as long as he needs because I just want him to feel better (although I think in my daze I threatened last night to give him to the church - haha we all have our moments!).




Thank god for our down to earth doctor, who happens to be a new mommy of a 4 month old too! Up until now we really haven't been able to find a doctor we liked. Emma's first doctor told us when Em was about a year old that we should give her french fries from McDonalds if she liked them. That was the last time we saw her! Not that we don't give her french fries ever but I'd rather have a doctor who encouraged apples :)

Why is it so hard to find good, caring doctors? Through both pregnancies I struggled finding one of my own. It seems like the OBGYN practice I go to just pushes you along not even remembering who you are or at the very least reading the chart before they come in the room. Not only do they make you wait at least 20 minutes in the waiting room and another 15 in the exam room, but you only end up seeing the doctor for about 5 minutes and they have no idea what is going on. One time I was in there for a follow up visit for severe headaches. The midwife came in and did her usual exam. Then she asked me how I was feeling and if I was having any issues. Umm yes, I'm here because I was having headaches! She then looked at the chart (after I told her about the headaches) and said "oh yeah how are your headaches?" Really, you couldn't spend five seconds looking at it before you came in! Another time, actually the morning before Aiden was born, the nurse took my blood pressure twice because she said it was really high. I usually have really low blood pressure so I was worried. The midwife came in said everything looked good and tried to hurry me along to my ultrasound. She said they were in a rush to get me in there because the ultrasound tech was waiting! I asked her about the high blood pressue and again she had no idea! She sent the nurse back in to measure it again and it came back lower. So why did I keep going there? I have no idea. I guess it's because it's the only practice that there was no chance I'd be stuck with a midwife I didn't know (which happened with Emma and was horrible - but that's another story!). But why aren't there any good practices out there? Why aren't there any midwives who know their patients names and actually care about their health? Having a baby is one of the biggest and scariest events of your life, someone should actually care enough to know your name shouldn't they?

Well even if they did know my name they certainily don't care about the health and welfare of their patients. My postpartum check up was a joke. I was half asleep and barely said three words to anyone there (except of course when the nurse asked about my birth control plans for the future and I replied "Yes, please. Yes give me everything you've got"). No one seemed to notice that I could barely keep my eyes open. The doctor came in, checked me and on her way out the door said "oh did the nurse give you the postpartum worksheet?" No, she hadn't which really annoyed the doctor. She gave me about 3 minutes to fill it out, barely glanced at it and said ok, see you in July. Not that I think I need any postpartum treatment but it would have been nice of her to ask how I was doing?!

So this was really suppose to be about how happy I am with our new doctor but it turned out to be about how much I feel women need more care during and after pregnancy. Pregnancy and postpartum are an emotional rollarcoaster and there should be better professional support out there.

So over here we're just going to keep pressing on. Enjoying the baby smiles and coos and getting through the hours of crying knowing that "this too shall pass."


Emma's Insightful Quote of the Week:

(While driving in the car)
Emma: "Mommy why do you have daddy's song?"
Me: "What do you mean Emma?" (took me 3 tries to realize the song on the radio is one Alex must play in his car alot). "Does daddy play this song in his car?"
Emma: "Yeah, did he share it with you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment